Wearing the Apple Watch while exercising is good because it measures heart rate, etc., but the part of the back of the watch that touches the wrist gets sweaty. If you sweat a lot, take off your watch and wash it. I used to wash it with soapy water because it got sweaty, but I was wondering if it would be okay, so I looked it up.
(Photo taken with Apple Watch 4 after buying Apple Watch 1)
Do not use soap or other cleaning agents to wash your Apple Watch.
How to clean the Apple Watch from the Apple websitePlease note that soap and other cleaning agents should not be used.
Clean and dry your Apple Watch
Keep your Apple Watch dry and clean. Do not use soap, cleaning agents, abrasives*, compressed air, ultrasonic cleaning, and external heat sources on your Apple Watch as they can cause damage.
To clean your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- Turn off your Apple Watch and disconnect it from the charger.
- If you're wearing a leather band, remove it from your Apple Watch.
- Wipe your Apple Watch clean with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth. If necessary, lightly dampen the cloth in clean water. Alternatively, hold your Apple Watch under warm, clean water under gentle running for 10 to 15 seconds. Do not use soap and other cleaning agents.
- Use a lint-free, non-abrasive cloth to dry your Apple Watch, including the surface of the crystal on the back.
After taking off the strap of the Apple Watch, I lathered the body with soap and washed it in water, but I don't think this should be the case.
The non-abrasive cloth is likely to be a cloth for cleaning glasses.
Can I shower in the shower on my Apple Watch?
Apple Watch 2 or later can swim. There is a swimming measurement function. So, you can wear your Apple Watch and take a shower.
But is it okay for soapy water to get on your Apple Watch?
Apple's About the water resistance of Apple Watch According to the document, you can take a bath or shower, but do not let soapy water come into contact with it.
Water resistance is not permanent and may deteriorate over time. Apple Watch cannot be retested or resealed for water resistance. The following conditions should be avoided as they may affect the water resistance of your Apple Watch.
- If you drop your Apple Watch or subject it to another impact.
- Expose your Apple Watch to soap or soapy water while showering or bathing.
- Expose your Apple Watch to perfumes, solvents, detergents, acids or acidic foods, insect repellents, lotions, sunscreen, oils, or hair dyes.
- Expose your Apple Watch to high-velocity water, such as while water skiing.
- Wearing your Apple Watch in a sauna or steam room.
Do not wash with soapy water, but place it under running warm water for less than 15 seconds.
The Apple Watch glass also looks sturdy and waterproof, so I thought I could wash it with soapy water. In my case, I washed my Apple Watch 1 and Apple Watch 4 with soapy water, and there was no problem so far.
The manufacturer's guidance is conservative, but I still don't know if the soap ingredient is bad for the waterproof part. It would have been better if you could tell me why you shouldn't use soapy water, but I couldn't find it.
I will not wash with soapy water in the future.